Monday 6 June 2016

Things I like, and things I don't. . .

Let's get the dislikes out of the way first:
  • Soulless B&Bs - I think I have undervalued the warmth of an Irish welcome.  Over here, it just ain't the same.
  • Soulless towns - yes, Ireland has its share, but there are some towns here that you'd just prefer to close your eyes to
  • Logging trucks and RVs - I know the logging trucks have to do their transporting business, but are they ever scary? 18 wheels at a minimum, sometimes towing a trailer as big again, these monsters leave a definite impression as they fly by at 65mph.  As for RVs? As big as inter-city buses and towing behind them a flatbed truck, a motor boat or both.  Monsters.
  • Dogs - I rest my case
  • Hills, hills, hills - yes they're the variation that takes the boredom from 'same same' cycling.  But they can go on - and on - and on. Two days ago I ascended 4500 feet - that's sea level to the top of Carrantuohill and 1,100 feet beyond.
  • People not listening (more of that later too)
And the likes?
  • the road surface - oh my God! hundreds of miles of it.  Smooth.  Even. Predictable. Cyclists will tell you just how magical it is to cycle on such a surface.
  • breaking surf - miles and miles and miles of crashing surf.  From Washington to Oregon to California.  And they're deserted.
  • hard shoulders - no, not cold shoulders.  Often as wide as a traffic lane - lots of space to cycle and feel safe (notwithstanding the logging trucks and RVs)
  • Redwoods - stunning - simply stunning.
  • Cycle Shops - to die for! Huge.  Airy.  Fabulously stocked.  With repair guys who know bicycles inside out.
  • The Hospital System (as experienced) - I know you should not generalise from the particular, but my one encounter (and only one, I hope) was courteous, efficient, friendly and effective
  • time - to Think.  Reflect. Ponder. Be.
More to follow I am sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment