Monday 6 June 2016

31 varieties of cheese!

Those who know me, know I love France - especially for its wine and for its cheese.  Regarding the latter, French President Charles de Gaulle was famously quoted, in 1962, as saying "Comment voulez-vous gouverner un pays qui a deux cent quarante-six variétés de fromage?" ("How can you govern a country which has two hundred and forty-six varieties of cheese?")  (Today it's over 1,000).  Heaven.
So when the sign said 'Loleta Cheese Factory' I thought "Why not?" and turned off Highway 101 into a tiny town.  The store was big and bright and full of cheese.
"31 varieties" an assistant with an appropriate cheesy smile assured me.
Fantastic - unusual but, hey, don't look a gift horse in the mouth.  I was thinking Bleu d'Auvergne, Cabecou, Camembert de Normandie, Chevrotin, Comté, Crottin de Chavignol, Emmental, Gruyère, Livarot, Pont-l'Évêque, Reblochon, Rocamadour, Roquefort, Saint-Nectaire, Tomme de Savoie, Vacherin . . . the possibilities were almost endless.
Eager to taste I brandished the proffered cocktail stick and examined the counter enthusiastically.  Cheddar.  Cheddar with chives.  Cheddar with peppers.  Red Cheddar.  Cheddar with . . . you get the picture.
I repaired to the coffee shop and consoled myself with a slice of carrot cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment