Monday 6 June 2016

Reflectin' on Ridin'

Cycling is so much about finding a rhythm - the steady pulse of connection between rider and road.  Here are a few lines I put together yesterday that try to capture that rhythm (with apologies to poets everywhere!)
Before you read, close your eyes, put yourself on the saddle and imagine that beating, pulsating rhythm.
Reflectin' on Ridin'
There's a rumble in the rollin',
there's a rhythm in the ridin',
and my legs just keep on strokin';
hard, hard miles, they keep on flyin'
Ocean breeze it starts a blowin'
and my legs begin to harden.
Garmin readout states it starkly:
"Why! you're goin', oh so slowly!"
But this Road is not for endin',
murmurs softly, so seducin':
"Set your wheel in my direction.
I shall promise my protection.
Take your time, I'll know you're comin'.
Just remember, keep on pumpin'.
Don't let distance damp your yearnin',
don't you know it's worth the turnin'?"
I drop a gear, I drop my head.
I steel myself: "My legs ain't lead!"
I drop another, curse and swear,
why? why? do I accept the dare?
A hill presents, its slope so steep.
I know I only want to sleep.
But Granny helps, I dig down deep
and push and push until I weep.
This Siren fair, she will not stop.
She's pushin' me until I drop.
But "Wait!", I think, "I set the bar - 
she cannot push me oh so far!"
I check my bearings, check the map
and quickly calculate the gap.
Five miles it seems and then I'm there
It's more than I had hoped to dare.
This Siren call will have to wait
Her lure today no more shall bait.
Her appetite she well may sate, 
tomorrow's ride will seal my fate.
So why this torture? Why this pain?
Is all the effort just in vain?
"No, this is life", I'll say again
"It's in the effort - there's the gain".

No comments:

Post a Comment